By: Sara Rhode, CTE HS Inst., RRT, AEMT, EMS Edu., AHA Inst. SkillsUSA Advisor- ND
Roughrider Area Career & Technical Center (RACTC) SkillsUSA students traveled to Wahpeton, North Dakota March 25-28th to showcase the skills they’ve been working hard on perfecting the past few months. RACTC SkillsUSA members are part of the Health Science program at Dickinson High School.
Thirteen students competed in ten different health science related contests:
- 2023 SkillsUSA State President Charly Wyatt took home two gold medals, CPR/First Aid and Health Occupation Professional Portfolio.
- Dustie Dassinger won the Pin Design competition. Her Pin will be the 23-24 featured Pin worn by all the state competitors and representing the North Dakota chapter in Atlanta Georgia at Nationals.
- Seniors Dustin Gomez, Vy Bui and Rachel Thompson, all members of the Fire Academy course, took home first, second, and third place in Firefighting. Gomez will be advancing to the national competition in June.
- Brandon Tackett, Dustie Dassinger and Mckenna Mettler represented RACTC with a team in the Health Knowledge Bowl, taking first place.
- Ethan Wilke, Grace Dvorak, Rachel Thompson and Jasmyn Galicia all took home silver in various competitions and would act as a step-in competitor at the national competition in the event the first-place winner is unable to attend.
- Brandon Tackett took the bronze medal in the Medical Math competition.
Roughrider will be represented well in the 2023-2024 school year as two students have been elected as SkillsUSA State Officers- Amarah Olheiser and Brandon Tackett. These two elects will participate in State Officer training in Bismarck this summer, where their specific titles will be assigned.
These students showcased outstanding leadership in becoming future leaders in the healthcare industry. All their hard work has paid off while creating memories they’ll never forget. Atlanta, here we come!
RACTC SkillsUSA advisors are Courtney Sadowsky, Jaclyn Guillaume, and Sara Rhode.